Share | 

Radio Silence

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theron JeAurum
Elf
Elf

PostSubject: Radio Silence   Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Guild chat (in fact, all chat where toons are not in proximity) is a lot like ham radio. What a brave old world it is that has such technology in it.

Several times lately I have asked a question in /g and only heard crickets chirpping, and I wondered what that means. /gwho tells me there are other guildies on board, but no response. I have died in a fight while folks are pinging me in one chat channel or another and understand that, sometimes, your hands are full with trying to outrun and/or TP away from losing a level to death. I don't expect immediate responses. But ... nothing at all?

It makes me wonder if, at times, our international Horde has players on board who are not comfortable with English. (For the record, I have been deemed "conversant" in German and Spanish, and at one time was "fluent" in Korean, although that's been a LONG time ago and I don't have a clue how to type Hangul on my Mac. I know maybe 20 words in Francais, but no grammar and almost no spelling! Sorry!)

It also makes me wonder if some guildies are just shy or not interested in chatting with toons (or players) they don't already know.

But it's also possible I have offended in some way, so my request here and invitation is to PM me on this forum, or /t me in game and let me know if I have offended you. (I have cheesed people off before without knowing, and without meaning to, so this is a valid concern for me.)

Otherwise ... throw a guild brother a bone sometime and speak up when he asks a question ... even if it's just so say, "Don't know" or "busy fighting" or "Who are you?"

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kilro
Goblin
Goblin

PostSubject: Re: Radio Silence   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 pm

I always try to answer guildmate's questions unless I'm involved in a totally crucial moment. I even answer non-guildie's questions if I see nobody else is helping them out. The only time I may not answer at all is if there are other people already involved in the conversation.

However, I do want to point something out. It's something I've seen a couple times now. /gwho will show someone as logged on, but they're nowhere to be found. One time, MoM showed Raffe as being in Kauldur for 3 straight days. After repeated hello's and no replies, I went looking for him. He didn't show up on tracking and I covered every inch of Kauldur in my search. He just wasn't there. I noticed this happened with Shadowbat a couple days ago too. I guess there's some sort of glitch that happens once in awhile.

I also think that some players just do their own thing. When I say hi to the guild, no reply. When I see them enter the game, no greeting. When they leave, no goodbye. It doesn't phase me. Live and let live.

I am coming for you...

I am Kilro. I am...

Death

ASN/DMK/REV
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/brattcave
Theron JeAurum
Elf
Elf

PostSubject: Re: Radio Silence   Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm opposed to "forcing" anyone to do anything, and don't think people should be required to reply to my stuff. It may be just as you said ... phantom returns on the guild ping.

But I didn't join the guild just so I could power level ... or go solo with a title under my name!

Thanks for the clarification. I've noticed I couldn't track people who showed up in /gwho, as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silke
Dark Elf
Dark Elf

PostSubject: Re: Radio Silence   Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 pm

Personally it largely depends on my mood. Sometimes I play MoM with the express purpose of escaping from the real world for a while; often when I feel like that I don't want to talk to anybody, I just want to be left by myself for a while. Normally when I'm feeling like that I won't greet the guild when I log in, however if somebody directs a comment at me and I'm free to reply I will - even if it is just to say "hi".

Other times I really want the company, after all that's an important part of being in a guild; having like minded players that you can interact with, and then I don't do much else during a session apart from chat!

So basically, what I'm trying to say is if somebody just wants to be left alone respect that, however there is a level of common decency that should be respected. Even if it is just a reply that says "Hi, don't take this personally but I'm in a crap mood and would just like to be left alone today."

View user profile
GaUgAu*
Great Master and Creator
Great Master and Creator

PostSubject: Re: Radio Silence   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm

As kilro does .. I always try to answer my friend in the /G channel as I do with the /h when I know the answer or in /m when people ask their

• MoD character
-->Necrogobby necro/war/reveal lvl 100/100/100
-->Looking for every necromancer tomes and Scrolls you could have, and don't need ....

• FoL character
-->Vynils Barb/cleric/druid 7/5/0
-->Moustache Barb/shaman/bard 15/11/5

• One Of The Main Officers
• Creator of this web site

• Feel Free To Post On The Forum
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horde-sombre.lightbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio Silence   

Back to top Go down

Radio Silence